Easy navigation is essential in a website.
Your visitors want to find your information very quickly, or they will give up and find another website. They are usually disappointed if it takes more than two clicks from the home page to find information on your website.
Here’s some quick advice:
- Navigation menus should not be hard to see on your web page. They should stand out from the body text.
- Menus can be along the top or down the side. Or they can be both. They should be consistant on every page. Menus at the foot of the page mean that the visitor must scroll down to notice them.
- Plain text organised and styled by css looks as good and loads quicker. The navigation on this page is text and css and is seen by search engines.
- For a large number of website pages, break the navigation into groups and sub-groups, keeping the “two clicks” rule in mind.
- Large websites – websites with many pages – justify a search box.