It can be costly to try to do these in the wrong order. Allow time to do them all.
- Products – define
- Customers – research market
- Suppliers – evaluate
- Business Plan – budget
- Business Name – choose one not similar to any existing name
- Domain Name – check availablity of appropriate name
- Business Name with your state government: 1 day, OR:
- Company with ASIC 1 day
- Domain Name – register 1 day
- Bank account in the name of the business or company 1 day
- ABN from the Australian Taxation Office 4 weeks
- Credit card merchant facility from a bank 2 to 4 weeks
- Website – quotes 1 week
- Website – design 2 weeks
- Host website 1 day
- Search engine listing 10 days
- Accounting – see Small Business Accounting
- Put time into your business – see Different Results
Some of the above times are concurrent, but some are not:
You need to show ownership of a business name before you can open a bank account for it.
You need an ABN or ACN before you can get a merchant facility.
You need a business name or company registration or ABN to get a .com.au domain name.
But you can get your website developed while you are waiting for an ABN or ACN.